Friday 10 January 2014

January Joy: Learn Something New

....in the stars!

This is the January Joy I have been most looking forward to. It doesn't take much to go and find something new and interesting to understand, do, or see, but sometimes you need a bit of inspiration and motivation to get going.

I am a creative person, and these days I spend most of my efforts on photography, and much of that is 'work'. I could paint, draw, print, cut, sew and craft all day, but actually can't remember the last time I made time to do it. However, this way lies procrastination.

I also like more academic learning, from science, which is my educational background, to history. I often wish I could go back to school and be more appreciative of all that wonderful information that I was taught, given over freely in handy 1 hour packages. Instead I was wasting my time learning the lyrics to Boom Shake the Room, doodling on my pencil case and pretending not to be the boffin I was. So now I'm a grown up ( I cooked Christmas dinner, I officially qualify now) I have to go out and do my own learning.

This week an opportunity presented itself to get interested in something all new and exciting to me. BBC Stargazing came to Portsmouth, bringing exhibitions, talks, and demonstrations to the Historic Dockyard one (sadly) cloudy evening. Turns out I have a few other friends already well into stargazing, and so I ended up at Winchester Science Centre the following evening for the monthly Space Lecture, learning about Mars exploration.

So this is my thing to learn more about. I'm looking forward to an evening stargazing with a friend and her new telescope soon, some more space lectures and evenings at the planetarium, and want to try some star trail photography too. Few books to start reading this weekend too.

No comments:

Post a Comment